Tyson Foods (TSN), which said Monday that rising feed costs offset higher prices leading to flat year-over-year earnings in its recent quarter, raised prices for chicken, beef and pork as global grain costs surged.
Sara Lee (SLE), Starbucks (SBUX), ConAgra Foods (CAG), Kellogg (K) and Coca-Cola (KO) have all said recently their financial results were impacted by higher commodity costs, and implemented price increases to help offset those costs.
Dean Foods' net income in the recent quarter came to $25 million, or 14 cents per share, down from $43 million, or 24 cents per share, in the year-earlier period. Total revenue grew 3% to $3.05 billion, from $2.96 billion.Analysts expected Dean Foods to report a first-quarter profit of $10.1 million, or 6 cents per share, on revenue of $3.07 billion. -- Written by Miriam Marcus Reimer in New York.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Miriam Reimer. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/miriamsmarket. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
>>See our new stock quote page. Get more stock ideas and investing advice on our sister site, Stockpickr.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV