Mississippi River Crests: Photo Gallery
A flooded residential area in Memphis, Tenn., is seen in this aerial photograph taken on Tuesday, May 10.
The river level in Memphis has dropped slightly since cresting at nearly 48 feet on Tuesday, falling inches short of its all-time high and causing an estimated $320 million in damage.
Nearly 500 Memphis residents were in shelters after hundreds of homes along the river's bank were flooded with polluted water up to their first-floor ceilings, The Associated Press said, while others were completely submerged.By the end of the week, all 19 casinos along the river will be shut down, putting up to 13,000 employees temporarily out of work. The damage in Memphis was estimated at more than $320 million, the AP said, and an official total cost won't be tallied until the waters recede.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV