Mississippi River Crests: Photo Gallery
A resident drives slowly on River Road north of Yazoo City, Miss., as the flood waters begin to submerge the street on Thursday.
Farmers throughout the southern region watch helplessly as thousands of acres of corn, wheat, soybean and cotton crops along the Mississippi River are submerged in floodwaters.
The rising Mississippi River is also threatening the catfish farmers in the region, many of which are located in the south Mississippi Delta. The state of Mississippi is currently the leading U.S. producer of farm-raised catfish, followed by Alabama and Arkansas.As the regions continues to flood, farmers race to construct barriers around their ponds, the AP reported. "If these ponds get flooded, the fish will just become part of the flood," said Taylor Webb, a spokesman for Catfish Farmers of America, a nonprofit trade organization. "Once the water subsides, there are going to be a lot what you call junk fish in there. You have to drain the pond, get everything out and start over." Harry Simmons, the owner of Simmons Farmed Raised Catfish near Yazoo City, estimates that it will cost $150,000 to wrap a protective levee around his home, business and about 400 acres of catfish ponds. "We'll just have to see what's there when the water goes down," he said.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV