The following commentary comes from an independent investor or market observer as part of TheStreet's guest contributor program, which is separate from the company's news coverage.
BEIJING ( TheStreet) -- Earlier this year, when I visited Sino Clean Energy (SCEI), the stock was trading below $7 on volume as low as 40,000 shares. It seemed that there was simply no awareness of the stock. Since then, shares have plunged by 70% due to short seller allegations of fraud -- on Friday, volume exceeded 3 million shares.
SCEI's product, coal water slurry fuel ("CWSF"), has the potential to be a wonder fuel due to its ease of transportation, low waste residue and environmental benefits. I think it is an incredible product with huge potential in China. However, my visit to SCEI ultimately did not lead to an investment.
First, the facility was surprisingly small. The main production line is simply a small mixer (picture a cement truck) which is fed coal by a small conveyor belt. This did not seem consistent with the company's stated capacity of 850,000 tons.
|The author at the SCEI facility|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV