Kass: Sell the Rallies
This blog post originally appeared on RealMoney Silver on May 9 at 7:35 a.m. EDT.
I am less preoccupied than most with the chaotic downside to precious metals prices last week, as, to me, it's little more than a speculative sideshow.
And it's a circus I prefer not to be entertained by or purchase tickets to.
Rather, other key factors are guiding me toward expecting a near-term slowdown in the rate of domestic economic growth and for a limited upside to the U.S. stock market.
- A low in bond yields: The continued drop in the yield on the 10-year U.S. note to 3.15%.
- A double dip in housing: A still-large shadow inventory of badly delinquent and foreclosed homes continue to weigh on home prices, which resumed their fall in first quarter 2011.
- Worrisome group rotation: The continued improvement (absolutely and relatively) of the consumer nondurable sector.
- Weakening commodities: We have witnessed a decline in the price of copper (to below its 200-day moving average), oil and other major industrial commodities.
- Economic indicators flash caution: A multiyear low in the Baltic Dry Index, a weak household jobs survey, the ISM nonmanufacturing Index falls to the lowest level in nine months and, for the fourth straight week, we get an initial jobless claim print above 400,000.
- Emerging weakness in non-U.S. markets: A break is developing in the natural-resource-based regional markets of Australia, Mexico, Canada and Brazil.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV