FRANKLIN PARK, Ill. (AP) â¿¿ A.M. Castle & Co., a plastics and metal distributor, turned a profit in the first quarter on stronger demand from mining, oil and gas and industrial customers.
The Franklin Park, Ill.-based company said Friday that its net income was $2.7 million, or 12 cents per share, versus a net loss of $4.6 million, or 20 cents per share, a year ago.
Revenue was $272.8 million, a 22 percent increase from $223 million a year earlier.
"Sales volume was strong for the quarter, reflecting continued improvement in demand within several key end-use markets including oil and gas, mining and heavy equipment and general industrial markets," Michael Goldberg, A.M. Castle's CEO, said in a statement."We expect underlying demand to continue to improve during the second quarter," Goldberg added. "At this point in time, pricing for most of our products appears stable at recent levels. Therefore, we expect further sequential sales growth and increased profitability during the second quarter and we are optimistic about our opportunities to expand our share of the market as the economic recovery progresses." Shares gained 9 cents to close at $17.66.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV