Reported GDP in 2009: $276.5 billion
Reported GDP today: $298.3 billion
Population change 2000-10: 4.8%
Judging by the way the Red Sox spent during the offseason, there's no shortage of cash in Greater Boston. Harvard, the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Boston University, Boston College and the 48 other colleges and universities in the area provide a healthy job base, as do Massachusetts General Hospital, Partners Healthcare and the city's sprawling medical community. But the presence of financial companies such as Fidelity Investments and State Street Financial, biotech companies such as Biogen Idec (BIIB), Genzyme (GENZ), Sanofi Aventis (SNy) and Novartis (AG) and tech companies such as Akamai (AKAM) helped Greater Boston breeze through the recession and gain population in the process. According to the Brookings Institute's Metro Monitor, Boston actually gained state government jobs during the recession, saw three quarters of consecutive job growth through 2010 and regained more than a quarter of the jobs it lost between its pre-recession high and post-recession low.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV