Reported GDP in 2009: N/A
Reported GDP today: N/A
Population change 2000-10 (Elko County): 7.8%
It's not the most burgeoning town at less than 20,000 people, but Elko was bulletproof during the recession thanks to its biggest business: gold mining. As the price of gold increased from $561.50 per ounce in 2006 to more than $1,560 per ounce today, mining companies Barrick (ABX) and Newmont (NEM) got 15,000 to 17,000 application for mining work in Elko that would have doubled the town's population if that many jobs were available.
The reason Elko has even a 7.9% unemployment rate, which is still far less than Nevada's 13.2% rate, is because there just isn't enough work for the job seekers looking to cash in on Nevada's gold rush. For those already here, however, the median income is the highest in the state, the town's casinos and cultural events keep drawing in the tourists and its four brothels make sure everybody's cashing in on the area's windfall.
-- Written by Jason Notte in Boston.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Jason Notte.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV