Reported GDP in 2009: $103.5 billion
Reported GDP today: $111.6 billion
Population change 2000-10: -8.6%
Yes, the city's shrinking, but those who are staying are employed and generally happy about it. The University of Pittsburgh and its medical center still provide most of the job base and U.S. Steel (X) and PPG Industries (PPG) still give the cities ties to its industrial roots, but PNC Financial Services' (PNC) growth and Google's (GOOG) expanding presence are the biggest symbols of a continuing shift toward the tech sector that mixes new businesses with old stalwarts such as H.J. Heinz (HNZ) and Dick's Sporting Goods (DKS). There are now roughly 1,600 tech companies in Pittsburgh taking up space in former mills and industrial plants, and combined with championships for the Pittsburgh Steelers and Penguins in the past three years (a Major League Baseball team is rumored to call the city home as well), that's a lot for Pittsburgh to be proud of.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV