Prepaid customers grew by 13,287 in the first quarter to a total of 80,243. Postpaid wireless PCS customers are up by 6% since March 31, 2010. Continued postpaid growth was helped by churn of just 1.8% this quarter relative to 1.9% for the first quarter 2010.
Financial results on a consolidated business, as shown on slide 8, were negatively impacted by significant costs associated with acquiring new prepaid and cable customers. We're reporting net income of $3 million for the quarter compared to $6.8 million from the first quarter of 2010.
Net income from continuing operations was $3.1 million for the quarter as compared to $6.6 million in the same quarter of last year. We continue to believe our cable acquisitions and our entry into prepaid represent great opportunities for us to create long-term growth and shareholder value.
We continue to work with potential buyers on the sale of our converged services business. We recently closed on the sale of five properties from this business for $1 million, which approximate the carrying value of the assets sold. We're continuing our efforts to sell the remaining properties.I'll now turn the call back to Adele to review the details of our financial results.Adele SkolitsThank you, Chris. I'll begin on slide 10. Adjusted operating income before depreciation and amortization, or OIBDA, for Q1 '11 was $21.3 million or up $1.4 million from Q1 2010. In order to better understand the forces driving this change, I have provided the OIBDA results by segment on slide 11.Here you get a picture of the segment's results and how they're contributing to the consolidated financial results. In a moment, I'll go into the wireless and cable OIBDA changes in depth. What you see from this table is that adjusted wireless OIBDA has held steady despite the significant incremental costs associated with acquiring prepaid customers.Read the rest of this transcript for free on seekingalpha.com
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV