Stocks Finish Higher as Greece Fears Keep Gains in Check
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Stocks pared gains Friday as surprising April job growth data that helped soften worries over the impact of soaring commodity prices on the economic recovery was offset by more worrying news about Greece.
The Dow ended up 55 points, or 0.4%, at 12,639. The S&P 500 rose 5 points, or 0.4%, to end at 1340, and the Nasdaq closed up 13 points, or 0.5%, at 2828.
Germany's Der Spiegel magazine reported that debt-laden Greece is thinking of leaving the eurozone and reestablishing its own currency, and that European officials convened an emergency meeting to discuss this.The euro was falling 1.3% to a one-week low of $1.43491 as the news unfolded -- even as Greek and European finance officials deny the report. Finance ministers will be meeting in Luxembourg Friday evening to discuss a loan restructuring plan for the Greece, according to several reports. Greece's sovereign debt totals 327 billion euros or $470 billion. The
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV