Enzon Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (Nasdaq: ENZN) today announced its financial results for the first quarter of 2011.
For the first quarter of 2011, Enzon reported income from continuing operations of $431 thousand, or $0.01 on a diluted per-share basis, as compared to income from continuing operations of $20.8 million, or $0.29 per diluted share for the first quarter of 2010. First quarter 2011 results included a $5.0 million milestone earned upon the approval of a supplemental Biologic License Application (sBLA) for the manufacture of the active ingredient for Oncaspar. Included in the results of continuing operations for the first quarter of 2010 is revenue of $40.9 million from the sale of in-process research and development associated with Oncaspar and Adagen, two of the specialty products sold.
“We have had a productive start to 2011, as we completed our transformation to an R&D organization and successfully executed our strategy focused on the development of our high-value oncology pipeline,” stated Alex Denner, Chairman of the Board. “Our clinical progress, reflected in the initiation of our Phase I trial for our Androgen Receptor antagonist and the presentation of encouraging data from our portfolio of mRNA antagonists, was complemented by our continued commitment to return value to our shareholders through our share repurchase program.”
First Quarter 2011 and Recent Highlights
- At the 2011 American Association of Cancer Research (AACR) Annual Meeting in April, Enzon presented data from preclinical and clinical studies of four investigational messenger RNA (mRNA) antagonists, demonstrating the compounds’ potential to inhibit key tumor targets that antibodies and small molecules have limited ability to control and access.
- In January, Enzon announced the FDA had accepted its Investigational New Drug (IND) application for its Androgen Receptor (AR) mRNA antagonist. Following this approval, the Company enrolled and treated the first patient in its Phase I trial of the AR antagonist in castration-resistant prostate cancer.
- In April, the Company received notice that the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) granted firtecan-pegol (EZN-2208) orphan drug designation for the treatment of neuroblastoma. Orphan drug designation provides for marketing exclusivity for that indication in the U.S., an expedited review process, a reduction in associated application fees and certain other benefits.
- During the first quarter of 2011, Enzon repurchased 3.9 million shares of outstanding common stock, totaling $41.5 million. As of April 30, 2011, the Company had purchased a total of 5.7 million shares of outstanding common stock for a cumulative cost of $62.2 million.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
24/7 market commentary from Jim Cramer and 20+ veteran Wall Street gurus. Get access to the latest trading ideas on stocks, options, and ETFs as well as a real-time forum to see the pros exchanging their investment ideas.
- Jim Cramer + 20 Wall Street pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Real-time trading forum
- Actionable trade ideas
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV