Sony's Uncharted 3
With Sony (SNE) pouring a lot of money into its own 3-D televisions, the pressure on it to make sales-driving 3-D content for its other products, including the PlayStation 3, was intense.
Its Gran Turismo 5 racing game looked lovely and cost roughly $80 million to produce, but didn't get a lot of traction out of its 3-D features. Its MLB 11: The Show was not only yet another disposable cog in a long-standing sports franchise, but its 3-D "functionality" was akin to drawing a 3-D comic book. Killzone 3 looked great at CES, but wasn't adding much to a game that had 7-Eleven sponsorship and was going to sell scads of copies regardless.
Sony's Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception, meanwhile, hasn't been released and is already making the fanboys weep with joy. Archeology, violence, cooperative game play -- that's all kid's stuff. This ridiculously cinematic release may be the first video game that makes gamers consider buying a 3-D television just to play it instead of making gamers who own a 3-D television buy it just because it's 3-D."With a core focus on cinematic story and action, Uncharted 3 is the prime candidate to convince the naysayers that 3-D belongs in video games -- it certainly has convinced me," says Jesse Divinich, vice president of capital analysis for video game analytics firm EEDAR. " Uncharted 3 could do for 3-D gaming what Avatar did for 3-D movies." It might just help to already have a 3-D screen handy, however, as the $60 it'll cost to pick up Uncharted 3 later this year is a far preferable entry fee to the $1,000 to $3,000 you'll spend on a TV and glasses.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV