Terra Nitrogen Company, L.P. (TNCLP) (NYSE: TNH) today reported net earnings of $120.9 million on net sales of $196.0 million for the first quarter ended March 31, 2011. This compares to net earnings of $33.9 million on net sales of $118.8 million for the 2010 first quarter. Net earnings allocable to common units was $66.6 million ($3.60 per common unit) and $32.9 million ($1.78 per common unit) for the 2011 and 2010 first quarters, respectively.
Results for the first quarter of 2011 included an unrealized non-cash mark-to-market gain on natural gas derivatives of $1.2 million. Prior to the second quarter of 2010, results were not subject to mark-to-market adjustments because TNCLP employed hedge accounting. The company discontinued hedge accounting in the second quarter of 2010.
Analysis of Results
Net sales for the 2011 first quarter totaled $196.0 million, compared to net sales of $118.8 million for the 2010 first quarter. This increase was due to higher ammonia and urea ammonium nitrate (UAN) selling prices and volumes. The increase in prices resulted from an improved global supply/demand balance for nitrogen products and higher expected crop plantings in North America. The increase in volumes reflected primarily the higher expected crop plantings.From the 2010 to the 2011 first quarter, TNCLP’s:
- UAN and ammonia selling prices increased by 39 and 34 percent, respectively.
- UAN and ammonia sales volumes increased by 24 and 108 percent, respectively.
- Realized natural gas unit costs decreased by 19 percent.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV