The consumer electronics giant has attracted heavy criticism after announcing the two major data breaches, with Sen. Richard Blumenthal (D., Conn.), in particular, slamming the company's inability to protect customer data.
On Wednesday Sony told TheStreet that it is working with data forensics specialist Guidance Software (GUID) to catch the hackers that breached its PlayStation Network, as well as privately-held Data Forté. The company is also working with business consultancy Protiviti, a subsidiary of Robert Half International (RHI), to clean up after the attack, it said.
Sony, which is working closely with the FBI to find out how its systems were compromised, said it is also rethinking its security strategy. In his letter to the House Energy and Commerce Committee, Hirai outlined a number of measures to prevent future breaches. These include automated software monitoring and configuration management, enhanced levels of encryption and additional firewalls.
Sony is also speeding up the move of its PlayStation Network system to a new data center in a different location, according to Hirai, who says that this will offer enhanced security.The company will also be naming a new Chief Information Security Officer who will report directly to the company's Chief Information Officer, he said. Sony shares were down 26 cents, or 0.92%, to $28.12 on Thursday. --Written by James Rogers in New York. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/jamesjrogers. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV