MINNEAPOLIS (Stockpickr) -- With crude oil still above $110 per barrel, the concern for many is the impact on the consumer. That makes sense since the U.S. is a consumer-driven economy. Weakness on the consumer level could have huge negative consequences for this fragile recovery.
As such, the headlines tend to focus on things such as $4-per-gallon gasoline and the behavior changes that come with that price tag. We know that fewer long-distance trips will be taken this summer as a result. In addition, expect a big increase in demand for public transportation.
But what about the impact of higher oil prices on corporations? So far this earnings season, the early returns suggest that most publicly traded companies are beating expectations. That said, there are a few cracks in the recovery story.
Related: How to Trade Big-Name Oil StocksFor example, Hooker Furniture (HOFT) cited rising transportation costs negatively impacting its operating results. Shares dropped more than 5% after its report. Clearly there is a developing story here, and with oil reaching new highs each week, margins are likely to be lower going forward.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV