Institutional Financial Markets, Inc. (NYSE AMEX: IFMI), a leading investment firm specializing in credit-related fixed income investments, today reported financial results for the quarter ended March 31, 2011.
- Net trading revenue increased 20% to $27.3 million for the three months ended March 31, 2011, as compared to $22.8 million for the three months ended March 31, 2010. This increase was primarily the result of the Company’s growth in equity derivatives trading as well as the JVB acquisition.
- Revenue for the first quarter 2011 was $32.3 million, as compared to $41.7 million for the three months ended March 31, 2010. The decrease in revenue was primarily the result of a $12.6 million reduction in principal transactions and other income, which more than offset the increase in net trading revenue. The reduction in principal transactions and other income was in large part due to net unrealized losses on the Company’s investment in Star Asia Finance of $2.0 million during the first quarter of 2011, which compares unfavorably to gains on the Company’s investments in Star Asia Finance and the first Strategos Deep Value Fund of $9.3 million and $1.3 million, respectively, during the first quarter of 2010. The change in fair value of the Company’s investment in Star Asia was primarily the result of the reduction in value of certain of Star Asia’s investments that were impacted by the natural disaster in Japan. The first Strategos Deep Value Fund was substantially liquidated during 2010.
- Adjusted operating income was $4.2 million, or $0.26 per diluted share, for the three months ended March 31, 2011, as compared to $7.7 million, or $0.49 per diluted share, for the three months ended March 31, 2010. This reduction in adjusted operating income was a result of the decrease in revenue, and was partially mitigated by lower compensation and benefits expense in the quarter. Adjusted operating income is not a measure recognized under generally accepted accounting principles. Please see discussion of non-GAAP measures below.
- Net income attributable to IFMI was $0.4 million, or $0.03 per diluted share, for the three months ended March 31, 2011, as compared to $2.9 million, or $0.28 per diluted share, for the three months ended March 31, 2010.
Daniel G. Cohen, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of the Company, said, “We are pleased to report positive adjusted operating income and growth in net trading revenue during the quarter, and remain focused on growing our business. In addition, our solid capital position has enabled us to once again return value to our stockholders through a dividend. We look forward to continuing to enhance stockholder value and view the recent agreement with PrinceRidge as a transformative transaction for our platform.”
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV