NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Automaker General Motors (GM) was falling 0.7% to $32.80 in premarket trading Thursday after reporting first-quarter net earnings of $1.77 a share. The company earned f 95 cents a share when excluding a gain from special items of 82 cents.
Analysts, on average, were expecting profit of 91 cents a share from GM.
Battery component maker Polypore International (PPO) was soaring 15.6% to $64 after posting first-quarter profit that was well above the Wall Street consensus.
Optical networker JDS Uniphase (JDSU) was surging 10% to $22 after posting strong, quarterly profit.
Lloyds Banking Group (LYG) was tumbling 8.4% to $3.47 in premarket trading after reporting a first-quarter loss of $4.02 billion.
ION Geophysical (IO) fell more than 7.9% to $9.95 after the energy industry data provider reported break-even results for the first quarter, but said one of its businesses is being "significantly impacted" by the turmoil in Libya.
Specialty grocer Whole Foods Markets (WFMI) was popping 4.5% to $62.40 after topping Wall Street's earnings estimate for its fiscal second quarter.
Chinese social networking site Renren (RENN) was rising 1.6% to $18.30 after its U.S. debut Wednesday.
Visa (V) is anticipated to report second-quarter profit of $1.20 a share on Thursday. Shares of the payments company were falling 1% to $79.
Kraft Foods (KFT) is expected to post first-quarter profit of 47 cents a share at the closing bell Thursday. Kraft shares were up 0.3% to $33.94.
Insurer American International Group (AIG) is expected to report a first-quarter loss of 15 cents a share after the markets close Thursday. >>Search for Highest Dividends by Rate or Yield
|More on Earnings Today's Top Earnings|
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Andrea Tse. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to Andrea Tse. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV