The Texan firm brought in revenue of $562 million, up 14% on the same period last year, and well above the consensus estimate of $538.8 million. Excluding items, BMC earned 78 cents a share, a 20% hike on the prior year's quarter. Analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters had predicted earnings of 77 cents a share.
BMC's revenue from software licenses climbed 24% year-over-year to reach $251 million, according to a statement released by the company.
Investors responded positively to the results, pushing BMC's shares up $2.58, or 5.26%, to $51.65 in extended trading.The management software specialist, which narrowly missed third-quarter earnings estimates, cited growing demand for emerging technologies such as cloud computing for its strong fourth-quarter numbers. "Customers are increasingly seeking to build agile, flexible IT infrastructures, whether through cloud computing, SaaS or virtualization," said Bob Beauchamp, BMC's CEO, in the statement. BMC, which partners with Cisco (CSCO) on cloud computing, also posted robust full-year results. The software maker brought in full-year revenue of $2.1 billion, an 8% increase on the prior year, and above analysts' forecast of $2.04 billion. Excluding items, the software firm earned $2.99 a share, 12% higher than fiscal 2010, and in line with Wall Street's forecast. BMC also offered healthy guidance for fiscal 2012, predicting earnings between $3.21 a share and $3.31 a share, at the high end of analysts' forecast of $3.23 a share. The Houston firm expects revenue growth in the high single digits to low double digits. --Written by James Rogers in New York. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/jamesjrogers. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV