WINDERMERE, Fla. (Stockpickr) -- The U.S. stock market retreated for the second day in a row on Tuesday as investors continued to lock in gains following the news from over the weekend that al Qaeda leader Osama Bin Laden had been killed by U.S. Special Forces.
If you just look at how the overall U.S. averages performed on Tuesday, you would have completely missed some of the massive destruction that was going on underneath the hood. The Dow Jones Industrial Average finished the day virtually flat up 0.15 points to 12,807.51, while the S&P 500 lost only 4.6 points to 1,356.63. The tech-heavy Nasdaq lost 22.46 points to close at 2,841.62, while the small-cap tracking Russell 2000 dropped 11 points to finish the day at 843.77.
The more sinister action was seeing in some market-leading stocks that were absolutely hammered during Tuesday's trading session. Sina (SINA) dropped 9.4%, Sohu.com (SOHU) fell 8.5%, Baidu.com (BIDU) lost 5.1%, and Priceline.com (PCLN) traded off 2.8%.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV