NEW YORK (
TheStreet ) --
Silver prices have plummeted 25% from their intra-day high of $49.82, which was hit last week. As prices continue to waver, the question turns to whether silver prices have hit a top?
Many analysts before the silver "flash crash" were calling for prices as high as $130 and a silver:gold ratio of 17:1. Then the parabolic rally ran out of steam as the gold:silver ratio rose to 40, the CME raised the amount of money a trader has to put down to own a 5,000 ounce silver contract three times in a week and as the traders betting against silver's rally dragged down prices.
The next stop for silver is uncertain. It is a volatile and thinly traded market, which was the main reason for recent margin hikes, but $37.87 where the rally started from, to $49.82, where the rally ended, is a wide trading range. Is $49.82 the best it will get for silver?
Jeffrey Christian, managing director of the CPM Group, says silver has hit its top, for now. "We think you will see more weakness over the next few weeks." The CPM Group has been calling for a peak price of $42 in April and May and Christian says the majority of the rally was short covering and liquidation in the May futures contract. The long positions in the May contract are now rolled over into July, so come mid-June, Christian believes silver could see another big spike "if it does, then the bullishness will continue ... if we don't take out new highs....
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV