NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Semiconductor products provider Applied Materials (AMAT) agreed to buy Varian Semiconductor (VSEA) for $63 a share in cash, or about $4.9 billion. Shares of Varian were surging 51.3% to $61.35 in premarket trading Wednesday. Applied Materials was up 1.9% to $15.53.
K-Cup maker Green Mountain Coffee Roasters (GMCR) was surging 17.5% to $75.31 in premarket trading on an improved outlook and better-than-expected profit.
Shares of Glu Mobile (GLUU) staged a relief rally of 8.1% to $4.13 after the San Francisco-based developer of games for smartphones and tablets reported a narrower-than-expected loss for the first quarter.
ConAgra Foods (CAG) offered to buy private food brand company Ralcorp Holdings (RAH) for $86 a share in cash, or about $4.9 billion. Ralcorp shares were surging 8% to $90.
Thin film solar module maker First Solar (FSLR) was plunging 7.2% to $125 after reporting a first-quarter profit decline.
Media company CBS (CBS) was popping 5.7% to $26.67 after beating first-quarter profit expectations and doubling its dividend.
Cable giant Comcast (CMCSA) was gaining 2.5% to $27.28 after posting an in-line profit for the first quarter along with a nearly 18% jump in free cash flow.
Media company Time Warner Inc. (TWX) reported first-quarter profit of 58 cents a share, narrowly beating the Wall Street consensus. >>Search for Highest Dividends by Rate or Yield
|More on Earnings Today's Top Earnings|
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Andrea Tse. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to Andrea Tse. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV