Soros, Burbank Selling Gold, Silver: Report
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- George Soros's big hedge fund, a firm operated by investor John Burbank and some other leading firms have been selling gold and silver, The Wall Street Journal reported, leading to plunges the last two days in both metals.
On Tuesday, gold for June delivery closed down $16.70 to $1,540.40 an ounce at the Comex division of the New York Mercantile Exchange. Silver prices fell $3.49 to $42.58 an ounce and almost breached the $40 level in after-hours trading.
The Journal said the selling suggested the nine-month, sharp run-up in the precious metals could be entering more dangerous territory.
The newspaper, however, reported that some prominent investment professionals, like hedge-fund manager John Paulson, continue to favor precious metals.Early Wednesday, gold prices were down a further $4.10 to $1,536.30 an ounce, while silver slipped 84 cents to $41.74. -- Written by Joseph Woelfel
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Joseph Woelfel >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV