Soros, Burbank Selling Gold, Silver: Report
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- George Soros's big hedge fund, a firm operated by investor John Burbank and some other leading firms have been selling gold and silver, The Wall Street Journal reported, leading to plunges the last two days in both metals.
On Tuesday, gold for June delivery closed down $16.70 to $1,540.40 an ounce at the Comex division of the New York Mercantile Exchange. Silver prices fell $3.49 to $42.58 an ounce and almost breached the $40 level in after-hours trading.
The Journal said the selling suggested the nine-month, sharp run-up in the precious metals could be entering more dangerous territory.
The newspaper, however, reported that some prominent investment professionals, like hedge-fund manager John Paulson, continue to favor precious metals.Early Wednesday, gold prices were down a further $4.10 to $1,536.30 an ounce, while silver slipped 84 cents to $41.74. -- Written by Joseph Woelfel
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Joseph Woelfel >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV