California had the largest increase among states in retail sales for the Ford brand, the company said, as the new Fiesta, Focus and Explorer are drawing new customers. In 2010, all five of the top-selling vehicles in California were imports.
Nationally, the new Fiesta sold 9,147 units, over 9,000 for the second month in a row; Crown Victoria sales rose 115% to 6,586 units, and the Fusion (pictured above) led all Ford products as sales rose 11.7% to 21,189, an April sales record for the model. Also, Focus sales rose 22% to 17,265.
Meanwhile, sales of Ford trucks rose 11.5%. Utility sales rose 11%, while total car sales including Lincoln rose 26%. Explorer sales rose 138% to 12,593. Ford's April sales totaled 189,778."With gasoline prices eclipsing $3.90 a gallon, consumers are placing an even higher priority on fuel efficiency in every size and kind of vehicle," said Ken Czubay, vice president for U.S. Marketing, in a prepared statement. Ford said retail sales rose 10% while fleet sales rose 21%. At midday Tuesday, Ford shares were dipping 5 cents to $15.41. -- Written by Ted Reed in Charlotte, N.C. . >To contact the writer of this article, click here: Ted Reed
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV