Just last week, Sony warned 77 million users that their private account details, such as passwords, names, birthdates, addresses and credit cards, may have been compromised after the PlayStation Network was infiltrated by an unknown hacker.
Sony said the latest reported intrusion took place on April 16 and April 17, earlier that the other hack that occurred between April 17 and April 19.
Sony, in a statement late Monday, said personal information from about 24.6 million Sony Online Entertainment accounts may have been stolen, as well as certain information from an outdated database from 2007. The information from the outdated database includes about 12,700 non-U.S. credit or debit card numbers and expiration dates, but not the 3-digit security code on the back of credit cards, and about 10,700 direct debit records of certain customers in Austria, Germany, Netherlands and Spain.A company spokeswoman told The Associated Press that Sony had no evidence the information taken from Sony Online Entertainment was used illicitly for financial gain. Sony said it shut down all servers related to Sony Online Entertainment services "while continuing to review and upgrade all of its online security systems in the face of these unprecedented cyber-attacks." -- Written by Joseph Woelfel
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Joseph Woelfel >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV