- Net income declined to $799,000 for the three months ended March 31, 2011, compared with $3.3 million for the first quarter of 2010. Earnings per diluted common share were $0.03 compared with $0.30 in the first quarter of 2010.
- Net interest margin increased 22 basis points to 3.54% in the first quarter of 2011 compared with 3.32% in the first quarter of 2010. The increase in margin since last year benefited from a lower average cost of funds.
- Average loans decreased 8.1% to $1.29 billion in the first quarter of 2011 compared with $1.40 billion in the first quarter of 2010. Net loans decreased 6.8% to $1.24 billion in the first quarter of 2011, compared with $1.33 billion at March 31, 2010.
- Deposits decreased 0.2% to $1.48 billion compared with $1.49 billion at March 31, 2010, and increased 1.0% from $1.47 billion at December 31, 2010. Demand and savings account deposits increased by 8.5% and 10.3%, respectively during the first quarter of 2011 compared with the fourth quarter of 2010.
- Total assets decreased 1.2% to $1.74 billion compared with $1.76 billion at March 31, 2010.
- Efficiency ratio was 60.7% for the first three months of 2011, compared with 50.9% for the first quarter of 2010. Our efficiency ratio increased primarily due to higher credit related costs and increases in other real estate owned (OREO) expense.
- Non-performing loans increased $9.5 million during the first quarter to $69.9 million at March 31, 2011, compared with $60.4 million at December 31, 2010. The increase was primarily in the commercial and residential real estate segments of our portfolio.
- Non-performing assets increased $15.8 million during the first quarter to $143.9 million at March 31, 2011. The increase was primarily due to a higher level of non-performing loans described above and non-performing loans moving through the collection and foreclosure process.
- On April 19, 2011, an Oldham County, Kentucky jury rendered a judgment against PBI Bank for $529,000 in compensatory damages and from $529,000 to $882,000 in punitive damages. The case concerns a dispute with a prior landowner in connection with a project for which PBI Bank provided development financing to a third party. The final amount of the judgment is subject to additional proceedings. We intend to file motions to set aside the judgment, and if denied, to file an appeal. Based on advice of legal counsel, we believe that we have several meritorious grounds for appeal and no amounts have been accrued for this matter as we expect a favorable outcome to the bank.
Porter Bancorp, Inc. Announces First Quarter 2011 Results
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
Portfolio Manager Jim Cramer and Director of Research Jack Mohr reveal their investment tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
David Peltier uncovers low dollar stocks with serious upside potential that are flying under Wall Street's radar.
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
David Peltier identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
Every recommendation goes through 3 layers of intense scrutinyquantitative, fundamental and technical analysisto maximize profit potential and minimize risk.
More than 30 investing pros with skin in the game give you actionable insight and investment ideas.