Gold for June delivery added 70 cents to settle at $1,557.10 an ounce at the Comex division of the New York Mercantile Exchange. After losing 2.5% to fall to $1,540.30, the metal rallied to $1,577. The spot gold price was down 72 cents, according to Kitco's gold index.
Silver prices for July were shedding $2.51 to settle at $46.08 an ounce, after plummeting 13%, bouncing off the $42.20 level. The U.S. dollar index reversed directions after an earlier rally and was losing 0.09% at $72.96. The U.S. dollar index was down almost 4% in April and still has yet to break below its record low of $71.
The selloff in gold and silver had been anticipated to some degree given the surge in prices. Both metals soared 8.92% and 28.72% in April, respectively, and many traders had been looking for an overbought correction.
"[Silver] sold off on only 9,000 lots," says Mihir Dange, trader at Arbitrage, "the last time margins were raised on silver we [saw] it take a tumble as investors sell their silver to raise additional capital. This could be the healthy pullback that silver needed to get new long in and weak longs out." Jeff Nielson, guest contributor at TheStreet, argues that if there were a lot of long speculators "who piled-in after the last margin-hike, then this current move lower could last several days or perhaps a week ... [but] if all of the leverage in the sector had already been squeezed-out by the last margin-hike a week or so earlier, then this could be just a one- or two-day event."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV