Warren Buffett: Sokol Violated Ethics
Speaking at his company's annual meeting, Buffett said he doesn't think he will ever understand why Sokol bought shares in Lubrizol (LZ) before recommending that Berkshire buy the company, according to an Associated Press report.
The so-called Oracle of Omaha said he made a mistake by not asking Sokol more about his Lubrizol holdings when the two first discussed the company in January, the report said.
But Buffett added that he didn't have any reason to think that Sokol had just purchased his Lubrizol shares, according to the report.Sokol, who had been considered an heir apparent to the 80-year-old Buffett, has denied any wrongdoing but left Berkshire earlier this month. In advance of the meeting, observers had been hoping Buffett, who has often been held up as a model of ethical management, would address the issue of Sokol's Lubrizol purchases.
|Berkshire Hathaway Chairman and CEO Warren Buffett tours the exhibit floor before presiding over the annual Berkshire Hathaway shareholders meeting Saturday.|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV