NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- It's been a pretty good earnings so far. More than 70% of the 300-plus S&P 500 companies that have reported quarterly earnings so far have beaten expectations.
But can strong corporate earnings be enough to offset fears about high commodity prices and U.S. fiscal policy? That is our question for CEOs this week.
|Fortinet CEO Ken Xie|
Fortinet (FTNT) CEO Ken Xie told the TheStreet that strong corporate earnings can offset fears about U.S. fiscal policy, pointing to the recent run of solid tech sector results.
"In the last two days, earnings releases have definitely driven up the performance of the stock market," the leader of the Sunnyvale, Calif., network security appliance maker said Wednesday. "Good earnings sometimes drive hiring, so that can boost the confidence of the consumer."Fortinet reported strong first-quarter results of its own after the market close on Wednesday. The hardware maker, which is one of TheStreet's breakout stocks, comfortably beat Wall Street's revenue and earnings forecast and also raised its full-year guidance.
ING (ING) Investment Management CEO Jeff Becker: "I think the answer is yes. When you look at what's been happening in the markets, even with some of the negative news, the U.S. equity markets continue to power forward. I think it's really a focus on the fundamentals and corporate earnings, which continue to be quite strong.
|Ed Fitzpatrick, CFO Motorola Solutions|
What are America's corporate leaders saying about the issues of the day? TheStreet's reporters, during the course of their weekly coverage, will pose a thematic question to the business executives they interview. Have a question you'd like to see TheStreet ask the CEOs? Send it to firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow TheStreet on Twitter.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV