RIM Plunges; Microsoft Beats
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Research In Motion (RIMM) shares plummeted 13.4% to $49 in pre-market trading Friday after slashing its first-quarter profit outlook because of weak Blackberry shipments and an unfavorable product mix.
The Ontario-based company said it now sees earnings of $1.30 to $1.37 a share for three months ending in May, down from a prior projection for earnings of $1.47 to $1.55 a share.
Microsoft reported adjusted earnings per share of 61 cents on quarterly revenues of $16.43 billion. That's up from 45 cents and sales of $14.5 billion in the year-ago quarter; analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters expected 56 cents EPS on sales of $16.2 billion.PayPal, the online payments unit ofeBay (EBAY), has acquired a mobile payments start-up that lets customers pay for goods with smartphones, the company announced Friday on its blog. Called FigCard, the Boston based start-up lets merchants accept mobile payments through a USB device that connects to the cash register. Shares of eBay fell 0.9% in pre-market trading Friday to $33.68. Panasonic (PC) said Thursday it plans to cut 17,000 jobs over the next two years as it reorganizes the company following its acquisition of Sanyo Electric Co. Panasonic will reduce its workforce by around 4.6% to 350,000 by March 13, it said in a statement. Vancouver-based start-up 99Designs has raised $35 million in venture funding led by Accel Partners, the company said Thursday. 99Designs is an online marketplace for graphic designs. --Written by Olivia Oran in New York.
>To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/Ozoran. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV