Viad Corp (NYSE:VVI) today announced first quarter 2011 net income of $9.8 million, or $0.48 per diluted share. Viad’s income before other items of $10.0 million, or $0.49 per diluted share, excludes net restructuring charges of $165,000 after tax. This compares to the company’s prior guidance of income per share of $0.25 to $0.40 and the 2010 first quarter loss before other items of $0.02 per share.
- Revenues of $290.1 million were up $65.7 million (29.3%) from 2010.
- Segment operating income was $17.3 million as compared to $199,000 in 2010.
- Free cash flow improved by $10.0 million to $11.9 million, primarily due to higher net income.
- Cash and cash equivalents were $148.4 million at March 31, 2011.
- Debt was $8.9 million, with a debt-to-capital ratio of 2.2% at March 31, 2011.
Paul B. Dykstra, chairman, president and chief executive officer, said, “Viad’s first quarter 2011 earnings reflect better than expected results from our Marketing & Events Group. U.S. base same-show growth was 13.6 percent, driven by initiatives from our realigned sales force and an improved economy and industry conditions. Overall exhibitor spending was strong, and we had solid execution from our team. Our Travel & Recreation Group met our guidance for its seasonally slow quarter. Our entire organization remains focused on driving continued growth in revenues and profits by capitalizing on market opportunities and leveraging the productivity gains we made during the past two years to further increase efficiencies and drive down costs.”
First Quarter 2011 Business Group Highlights
|($ in millions)||2011||2010||Change|
|Marketing & Events Group:|
|Travel & Recreation Group||5.8||7.4||(1.7||)||-22.3||%|
|Segment operating income (loss):|
|Marketing & Events Group:|
|Travel & Recreation Group||(4.5||)||(2.4||)||(2.1||)||-86.7||%|
|Marketing & Events Group||7.6||%||1.2||%||640||bps|
|Travel & Recreation Group||-77.4||%||-32.2||%||**|
|** Change is greater than +/- 100 percent.|
Note: Calculated amounts presented above (including totals and percentages) are calculated using dollars in thousands.
Viad’s Marketing & Events GroupFor the first quarter of 2011, Marketing & Events Group results improved substantially compared to the 2010 quarter, with revenues and operating income increasing by $67.4 million and $19.1 million, respectively, driven primarily by the U.S. segment.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV