Viad Corp (NYSE:VVI) today announced first quarter 2011 net income of $9.8 million, or $0.48 per diluted share. Viad’s income before other items of $10.0 million, or $0.49 per diluted share, excludes net restructuring charges of $165,000 after tax. This compares to the company’s prior guidance of income per share of $0.25 to $0.40 and the 2010 first quarter loss before other items of $0.02 per share.
- Revenues of $290.1 million were up $65.7 million (29.3%) from 2010.
- Segment operating income was $17.3 million as compared to $199,000 in 2010.
- Free cash flow improved by $10.0 million to $11.9 million, primarily due to higher net income.
- Cash and cash equivalents were $148.4 million at March 31, 2011.
- Debt was $8.9 million, with a debt-to-capital ratio of 2.2% at March 31, 2011.
Paul B. Dykstra, chairman, president and chief executive officer, said, “Viad’s first quarter 2011 earnings reflect better than expected results from our Marketing & Events Group. U.S. base same-show growth was 13.6 percent, driven by initiatives from our realigned sales force and an improved economy and industry conditions. Overall exhibitor spending was strong, and we had solid execution from our team. Our Travel & Recreation Group met our guidance for its seasonally slow quarter. Our entire organization remains focused on driving continued growth in revenues and profits by capitalizing on market opportunities and leveraging the productivity gains we made during the past two years to further increase efficiencies and drive down costs.”
First Quarter 2011 Business Group Highlights
|($ in millions)||2011||2010||Change|
|Marketing & Events Group:|
|Travel & Recreation Group||5.8||7.4||(1.7||)||-22.3||%|
|Segment operating income (loss):|
|Marketing & Events Group:|
|Travel & Recreation Group||(4.5||)||(2.4||)||(2.1||)||-86.7||%|
|Marketing & Events Group||7.6||%||1.2||%||640||bps|
|Travel & Recreation Group||-77.4||%||-32.2||%||**|
|** Change is greater than +/- 100 percent.|
Note: Calculated amounts presented above (including totals and percentages) are calculated using dollars in thousands.
Viad’s Marketing & Events GroupFor the first quarter of 2011, Marketing & Events Group results improved substantially compared to the 2010 quarter, with revenues and operating income increasing by $67.4 million and $19.1 million, respectively, driven primarily by the U.S. segment.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV