The India Fund, Inc. (NYSE: IFN; the “Fund”), a closed-end management investment company that seeks long-term capital appreciation by investing primarily in equity securities of Indian companies, today announced unaudited results for the three months ended March 31, 2011.
For the three months ended March 31, 2011, the Fund’s net realized gains were $28,890,028 and the net change in unrealized loss was $130,681,640. Net investment loss for the three months ended March 31, 2011 was $3,464,573. For the same three month period ended March 31, 2010, the Fund's net realized gains and net change in unrealized gains were $40,036,732 and $26,396,948, respectively. Net investment loss was $3,259,414.
On March 31, 2011, total net assets of the Fund were $1,436,946,757, and the net asset value (“NAV”) per share was $33.42 based on 42,991,523 shares outstanding. The Fund's common stock closed on the New York Stock Exchange on March 31, 2011 at $32.95 per share, representing a discount of 1.41% to the Fund’s March 31, 2011 NAV. On March 31, 2010, total net assets of the Fund were $1,590,444,675, and the NAV per share was $34.12 based on 46,615,777 shares outstanding. The Fund's common stock closed on the New York Stock Exchange on March 31, 2010 at $31.54 per share, representing a discount of 7.56% to the Fund’s March 31, 2010 NAV.
In April 2003, stockholders of the fund voted to adopt an interval fund structure, pursuant to which the Fund conducts semi-annual repurchase offers for between 5% and 25% of the Fund’s outstanding common stock.During the three months ended March 31, 2011 the Fund conducted one repurchase offer. The first repurchase offer commenced on February 18, 2011 and expired on March 11, 2011. In connection with the repurchase offer, the Fund purchased 1,293,465 shares of capital stock at a total cost of approximately $39,164,623, net of a 2% repurchase fee of $794,964.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV