NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Universal Stainless & Alloy Products (Nasdaq:USAP) has been upgraded by TheStreet Ratings from hold to buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its robust revenue growth, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures, solid stock price performance, impressive record of earnings per share growth and compelling growth in net income. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company shows low profit margins. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Metals & Mining industry. The net income increased by 211.7% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $1.43 million to $4.45 million.
- UNVL STAINLESS & ALLOY PRODS reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past year. We feel that this trend should continue. During the past fiscal year, UNVL STAINLESS & ALLOY PRODS turned its bottom line around by earning $1.94 versus -$0.44 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($2.56 versus $1.94).
- Powered by its strong earnings growth of 204.76% and other important driving factors, this stock has surged by 52.16% over the past year, outperforming the rise in the S&P 500 Index during the same period. Turning to the future, naturally, any stock can fall in a major bear market. However, in almost any other environment, the stock should continue to move higher despite the fact that it has already enjoyed nice gains in the past year.
- USAP's debt-to-equity ratio is very low at 0.07 and is currently below that of the industry average, implying that there has been very successful management of debt levels. To add to this, USAP has a quick ratio of 1.69, which demonstrates the ability of the company to cover short-term liquidity needs.
- USAP's very impressive revenue growth greatly exceeded the industry average of 35.6%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues leaped by 72.5%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
Latest Headlines about USAP
Latest from TheStreet Wire
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV