10 Sleazy Moves by Everyday Companies
Fuel for fire
Adding Enron to a roster of sleazy company moves may be a bit of a cliche at this point, but how can you not?
Its shenanigans (like those of the similarly fallen WorldCom) still set the gold standard for business corruption.
Long story short: The Texas energy company and its auditing/accounting firm Arthur Andersen were driven out of business when it was discovered that creative bookkeeping hid billions in debt and losses.The repercussions went far beyond trouble in the C-suite. The stock went from $90 a share to breaking the buck, losing shareholders an estimated $11 billion. Employees holding company stock were devastated and their pension fund pummeled by more than $2 billion in evaporated funds.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV