10 Sleazy Moves by Everyday Companies
Can you read me now?
When you download software or upgrade a program, do you really read the terms of service before clicking "accept"? Probably not.
But when entering into a multiyear contract for your cell phone or smartphone, with a lot of cash on the table, the odds of you poring over a contract are greatly increased.
So what's a company to do if it's trying to sneak in some unfavorable terms? If you are AT&T (T) you bury the offending legalese in a massive 8,000-word, 2,500-page "guidebook" outlining its terms and conditions. (That's more than twice the number of pages in the average Bible.)That 2008 tome quickly drew fire from state regulators and consumer watchdogs who said the format made it nearly impossible for consumers to fully grasp and easily reference the pertinent details of their service agreement. Only available online, accessibility was another concern. AT&T is in the midst of another contract controversy. This week, the Supreme Court validated the company's contention that a clause in its contract offering dispute arbitration can legally strip consumers of the option to enter into a class-action lawsuit. Lesson learned: Fine print is not your friend.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV