10 Sleazy Moves by Everyday Companies
We control the vertical ...
Back in 2003, computer hardware maker Belkin irritated customers by stealing their attention and bandwidth.
It seems that as frequently as once every eight hours some of its modems, hooked up to a local area network, would force-feed users spam, hijacking the website they wanted to visit, diverting them to a company site that goaded them into buying parental control software.
Not only was that bad news for users, but IT managers feared that the intrusion could trigger a chain reaction of other headaches related to proper Web browsing.Although it all seemed pretty coordinated and intentional, Belkin apologized and tried to explain away what happened as a glitch that could be fixed by a firmware upgrade. It took weeks for that promised fix, and the software initially failed to work on some models. It's bad enough all manner of hackers and shady software companies are messing with you. It's another thing to have the hardware you buy turn against you.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV