10 Sleazy Moves by Everyday Companies
GoDaddy, go away
GoDaddy, an Internet registration company that also hosts websites, is known for its raunchy ads.
CEO Bob Parsons also sparked outrage in early April for posting videos of himself shooting an elephant while on safari in Zimbabwe. "Everybody is focused on shooting the elephant, but it's completely out of context," he complained. "It's as though I shot it in a zoo or something."
But the sleaze we're looking at is GoDaddy not delivering on promised sleaze.For years, GoDaddy, particularly with its Super Bowl ads, has made a big fuss about how its full, unedited commercials can't get past censors. To see the sexy, no-holds-barred, adults-only content, you have to visit its website. If you do visit, lured by hopeful thoughts of Danica Patrick, you will find, well, not much -- just a few extra seconds of material, a bad joke or two and a lame "conclusion." Nothing impresses as being very scandalous at all. At one time, it was a tactic that surely worked, driving hordes to hunt and peck the address. But now, year after year with the same gimmick, does anyone really care? Is this really such a bad thing? Maybe not, but the sleaze sells approach has opened a Pandora's box. Now, every Super Bowl season is littered with companies intentionally trying to be rejected so they too can claim they are "too hot for TV" and sucker mass media into giving them the sort of publicity money couldn't buy. -- Written by Joe Mont in Boston.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Joe Mont. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/josephmont. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV