10 Sleazy Moves by Everyday Companies
The wrong note
Sony (SNE) is a giant electronics company with a big problem -- a recent PlayStation network's hacker attack, ongoing outage and potential loss of customer data. But that's not an example of Sony sleaze.
For that, think back to 2005, when people still bought compact discs.
In an opening salvo against those no-goodniks who stash copyrighted songs onto their computers, Sony decided it might be a great idea to bury "rootkit" copy protection software into its CDs. Unfortunately, that software made unauthorized changes to the operating system of anyone who so much as played the music on their computer. These changes not only crashed many computers and slowed their performance, but cracked open an easy exploit for hackers (and exploit it they did).Class-action lawsuits and action by state attorneys general followed, and Sony eventually paid out a $4 million settlement that included $175 payments to customers it inconvenienced.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV