CINCINNATI (TheStreet) -- Procter & Gamble (PG), Colgate-Palmolive (CL) and Unilever (UL) reported that higher commodity costs pressured their financial results in the recent quarter and will continue to do so throughout 2011.
P&G posted a weaker-than-expected 11% rise in fiscal third-quarter earnings, and the firm said commodity inflation led it to cut the high end of its 2011 forecast.
Still, strong sales across its portfolio of consumer brands, and a tax benefit, led P&G's growth last quarter.
P&G said it expects costs to surge to $1.8 billion this fiscal year, about triple what it previously expected at the beginning of 2011. The firm said it would look to cut operational costs before passing higher costs onto consumers.
It now expects full-year core earnings-per-share in a range of $3.91 to $3.96. The upper end of its previous forecast was for earnings of $4.01 per share. Smaller rival Colgate-Palmolive also reported that higher costs pressured its earnings last quarter, though the toothpaste and dishwashing liquid maker met analysts' profit expectations. Colgate has passed some costs on to consumers of its bars of soap and certain other goods. Unilever, maker of Dove soap and Hellmann's mayonnaise, also said it would look to cut operational costs to help offset rising material prices.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV