International Shipholding Corporation (NYSE: ISH) today announced the financial results for the quarter ended March 31, 2011.
First Quarter 2011 Highlights
- Acquisition of the 100% equity interest of a Capesize Vessel and a Handymax Vessel, under construction, through a non-monetary transaction with a joint venture partner (“Dry Bulk transaction”)
- Permanent financing for three Handysize Bulk Carriers
The Company reported net income of $24.1 million for the three months ended March 31, 2011, which included a gain on the Dry Bulk transaction of $18.7 million. For the comparable three months ended March 31, 2010, the Company reported net income of $10.6 million, which included a gain of $1.4 million on the sale of a Panamax Bulk Carrier. Excluding the non-recurring transactions, net income for the first quarter of 2011 was $5.4 million as compared to $9.2 million for the comparable quarter in 2010.Mr. Niels M. Johnsen, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, stated: “We are pleased with our performance for the quarter as our fleet of diversified vessels continued to operate as expected. Importantly, we also further increased the percentage of direct ownership in our fleet by entering into the Dry Bulk transaction to take a 100% equity stake in a Capesize vessel and a Handymax newbuilding scheduled for delivery in the first quarter of 2012. Through this transaction we were able to recognize the value of these assets which represents the basis for a $18.7 million gain. Additionally, we exercised our previously negotiated early buy-out options to purchase two car carriers from the current lessor and intend to utilize our current cash position to partially fund this transaction. “The Company continued to execute its growth strategy. In addition to increasing the ownership percentage of our fleet during the quarter, our Oslo Bulk Joint Venture took delivery of two mini bulkers as scheduled. Of the ten vessels purchased for this joint venture, eight have been delivered and we expect the remaining two ships to deliver as planned during the second and third quarter.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV