NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Over time, every star falls. In the stock market, some fall harder than others and some never rise again.
Microsoft was once a star having experienced the meteoric rise to the top in the 1990s and having languished ever since. The company is set to release earnings tonight after the bell and analysts don't seem to have much enthusiasm about the prospects nor do the charts.
To put things into perspective, here is a weekly chart that superimposes the Nasdaq's performance as compared to Microsoft. It expresses the ho-hum expectations and underperformance of the stock quite vividly.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV