NEW YORK ( TheStreet) - John Millman, the president and CEO of Sterling National Bank -- the main subsidiary of Sterling Bancorp (STL) of New York -- told TheStreet in an exclusive interview Tuesday that the bank was uniquely positioned to grow its earnings and market share amid a resurgence for small and medium-sized businesses in the bank's market area.
After reporting a 71% increase in first-quarter earnings on Tuesday,Sterling Bancorp on Wednesday announced approval from the U.S. Treasury to redeem fully redeem $42 million in preferred stock held by the government for bailout funds received through the Troubled Assets Relief Program, or TARP, in December 2008.
|Sterling National Bank president and CEO John Millman|
Sterling National Bank has a unique business model as a community bank operating in New York City, with experience in providing sophisticated services, including asset-based lending, trade financing and factoring, going back to the 1930's. The bank's small and medium-sized business customers are concentrated in service providers, including staffing services, physician groups, law firms, and other service-related companies.
In an interview with TheStreet following the first-quarter earnings report, Millman was very confident in New York's economic prospects.TheStreet: How is the lending environment evolving in the city? John Millman: We feel really good about what we're seeing in the marketplace. It's an enormous market and we have relatively small market share, so we believe with the capital we have raised
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV