- Net sales increased to $306 million from $216 million in the first quarter of 2010. The increase in revenue was driven by improved demand in both of our business segments as well as growth in sales of $65 million related to the acquisitions of Seadrift Coke and our St. Marys facility.
- EBITDA* was $57 million versus $55 million in the first quarter of 2010. Excluding the elimination of $10 million in intercompany profit in inventory on sales of needle coke and $3 million in acquisition-related inventory step-up, EBITDA was $70 million for the quarter, representing our largest quarterly EBITDA in over two years.
- Net income was $27 million (including $10 million of purchase price accounting expenses related to the acquisitions), or $0.19 per diluted share, as compared to $35 million (including $4 million in currency gains on the remeasurement of intercompany loans), or $0.29 per diluted share, in the first quarter of 2010.
- As previously announced, on February 9, 2011, GrafTech acquired the business and assets of Micron Research Corporation, a privately held producer of super fine grain graphite, for $6.5 million.
- Net cash used in operating activities was $1 million, versus net cash provided by operating activities of $20 million in the first quarter of 2010. The decline year-over-year was primarily driven by a $55 million increase in working capital to support our growing sales. Also contributing to the increase in working capital was the addition of our three recently completed acquisitions, which were not part of our Company in the first quarter of 2010.
- Net debt* was $321 million at the end of the first quarter 2011. This compares to a year end 2010 net debt position of $288 million. We increased our debt primarily to fund planned capital expenditures to support growth and funding requirements related to the acquisition of Micron Research.
GrafTech Reports First Quarter 2011 Results
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
Every recommendation goes through 3 layers of intense scrutinyquantitative, fundamental and technical analysisto maximize profit potential and minimize risk.
Our options trading pros provide over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.