The aircraft and defense company said it earned $586 million, or 78 cents a share. Analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters had estimated 72 cents. Revenue shrunk by 2% to $14.9 billion; analysts had estimated $15.1 billion.
During the same quarter a year earlier, Boeing earned $519 million, or 70 cents a share.
"We're off to a good start in an important year for our company," said CEO Jim McNerney, in a prepared statement. "We delivered strong operating performance, made significant progress on 787 and 747-8 flight testing, and scored a major win on the U.S. Air Force tanker program."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV