DeVry shares rose 2.2% to close at $50.09 on Tuesday while Capella added 1% to $50.29.
DeVry, which runs Keller Graduate School of Management, Chamberlain College of Nursing, Ross University and the Carrington Colleges Group, said Tuesday it earned $92.9 million, or $1.32 per share, in the recent quarter, up 14.4% from a profit of $81.2 million, or $1.12 per share, in the year-earlier quarter.
Revenue jumped 11.6% to $562.7 million, from $504.4 million, helped by an increase in total student enrollment.
Top- and bottom-line results topped analysts' expectations for DeVry to earn $86.9 million, or $1.23 per share, on revenue of $563.8 million. While DeVry's total student roster grew, new undergraduate enrollment at its namesake university dropped 15.4%; at its Ross University, new student enrollment fell 8.2%. For Capella Education, new student enrollment plummeted 35.8%, and it forecast new student starts would be down 40% in the fiscal second quarter as the impact of increased competition and recent measures instituted to remain in compliance with new Department of Education regulations pressure enrollment standards.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV