Commodities Markets Oversight Coalition spokesman Collura remains cautious on the outcome of the tough talk from the Obama administration. "It will be interesting to see whether or not the 'task force' really develops legs in order to have an effect on the bullish speculative activity in commodity prices. I believe that the White House assembled the task force not only to send a message to the public that it acknowledges the problem and is trying to do everything it can about it, but also a message to the market."
Collura added that the renewed focus of the White House and the formation of the task force will have ripple effects across the administration and in the Congress, and noted that this week the CFTC announced that it's moving to prohibit mutual funds from evading regulation and investment caps on commodities via offshore subsidiaries. "I think you'll see more of this sort of activity as fuel prices stay at or above $4/gallon," Collura said.
Indeed, it all raises the question, Is the Obama oil prices task force no more than lip service for the angry masses? Take our poll below, and see what TheStreet thinks....
-- Written by Eric Rosenbaum from New York.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Eric Rosenbaum.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV