Another channel worth watching right now is the horizontal consolidation channel that's been reigning in price action in shares of Ecopetrol (EC). Unlike the channel up, a sideways consolidation channel doesn't have any directional bias -- that's why I like to refer to them as "if/then trades."
Because price movement is sideways, it doesn't make sense to take a position while shares trade within the channel. Instead, it's best to wait for a breakout in either direction -- here's where the if/then element comes in. If shares break above resistance, go long; otherwise, if shares tumble through support, this becomes a short play. Either way this trade pans out, consider a protective stop just inside the channel.
To see these plays in action, check out the Technical Setups for the Week portfolio on Stockpickr.-- Written by Jonas Elmerraji in Baltimore.
Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV