The bank said it is committing $12 billion to small businesses this year, a 20 percent increase over last year. During the first quarter Chase lent small businesses less than $20 million.
"Small business owners are not only our neighbors but also the entrepreneurs that hire half of the employees in the United States. It's critical that we support small businesses as they continue to fuel the economic recovery across the country," said Michael Cleary, CEO of Business Banking in Retail Financial Services.
Chase has been ramping up its hiring in small business due to the demand for loans. The bank plans on hiring 250 small-business bankers this year, according to Bloomberg. Chase hired 450 small business bankers in 2010.Banks such as Chase have been boosting small business lending since President Obama signed a bill in September to provide $42 billion in loan incentives and tax cuts for small-businesses. Other banks that have been aggressive about writing small business loans include Wells Fargo (WFC) and CIT Group (CIT). --Written by Maria Woehr in New York.
To contact the writer of this article, click here: Maria Woehr. To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/newsgirlmw. To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV