CAMBRIDGE, Mass., April 26, 2011 /PRNewswire/ --
- Taegu, South Korea ranked as city with fastest connection speed across the globe
- Russia was source of largest percentage of observed attack traffic in fourth quarter, 2010
- Average connection speeds increased in 162 countries year over year
- Average connection speeds on surveyed mobile networks fastest in Greece
Akamai Technologies, Inc. (NASDAQ: AKAM), the leading provider of cloud optimization services, today released its 4th Quarter, 2010 State of the Internet report available for download at www.akamai.com/stateoftheinternet. Based on data gathered from the Akamai Internet Platform, the report provides insight into key global Internet statistics such as the world's fastest and slowest regions for connection speed, the most frequent origins of attack traffic, and the highest-performing geographies for mobile connectivity, as well as resulting trends over time.
Highlights from Akamai's quarterly report include the following:Internet Penetration In the fourth quarter of 2010, over 556 million unique IP addresses from 234 countries/regions connected to the Akamai Internet Platform. This represents 4.2% more IP addresses than connected in the third quarter of 2010, and over 20% more than in the same quarter a year ago. The top ten countries/regions accounted for nearly 70% of the total observed IP addresses, indicating that the majority of the world's unique IP addresses are concentrated within a proportionally small number of geographies. The findings are in line with an October report from the International Telecommunications Union, which identified that "while 71% of the population in developed countries are online, only 21% of the population in developing countries are online."(1) Mobile Consumption & Connectivity Mobile consumption and connectivity speeds continued to increase in the fourth quarter. Of the 105 mobile providers surveyed by Akamai, 62 experienced an increase in average data consumption delivered by Akamai over the prior quarter and 89 providers saw consumption increase year-over-year. Looking at average peak connection speeds amongst the 105 providers, yearly growth was generally strong, with average peak connection speeds more than doubling at over 30 providers, and with 96 total providers showing year-over-year growth.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
24/7 market commentary from Jim Cramer and 20+ veteran Wall Street gurus. Get access to the latest trading ideas on stocks, options, and ETFs as well as a real-time forum to see the pros exchanging their investment ideas.
- Jim Cramer + 20 Wall Street pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Real-time trading forum
- Actionable trade ideas
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV