During the quarter, Netflix earned $60.2 million, or $1.11 a share on revenue of $719 million. Wall Street was calling for a profit of $1.03 a share on revenue of $703.6 million.
Netflix added 3.3 million domestic subscribers to end the quarter with 22.8 million users. The company said in January that it had expected to end the quarter with 21.9 million to 22.8 million U.S. subscribers.
Looking at Canada and the U.S. combined, Netflix touted 23.6 million subscribers. Netflix now boasts more subscribers than any other video service in the U.S."The virtuous cycle we've mentioned previously of increased investment in streaming content, strong word of mouth and an expanding device ecosystem truly worked for us in the quarter," the company said. Nonetheless, Netflix foresees second-quarter earnings coming in behind Wall Street's estimates, calling for a profit of 93 cents to $1.15 a share, while analysts predict $1.19 a share. The company is looking for revenue of $778 million to $798 million, ahead of consensus estimates of $763 million. The company said it will likely end the second quarter with 24.9 million to 25.9 million subscribers. Shares of Netflix were off more than 5% immediately following the report.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV